Tuesday 6 September 2022

Show HN: I built an open source job scheduler to help script everything https://bit.ly/3cQjI0w

Show HN: I built an open source job scheduler to help script everything As a software engineer, my reflex has always been to script everything I can. Scripting is easy, but everything around it is tricky: scripts have to run somewhere, they need access to credentials, they need to be monitored. None of it is simple. No-code automation platforms such as Zapier or IFTTT are too restrictive for technical tasks; CI/CD platforms make it easy to script tasks related to a repository, but are limited when trying to do anything else. I wanted the low level control you have when writing scripts while retaining the comfort of a platform managing execution for me. So I built a program for that. Eventline schedules, runs and monitors any script. Jobs can be executed on various runtimes (currently locally, with SSH, in Docker or in Kubernetes), manually or in reaction to various events. You then get observability (script output, history, execution stats…), full control (with the web UI, HTTP API or command line tool) and the ability to share scripts with others. Eventline 1.0 is out. I use it myself, so does a friend and a first client. The roadmap is packed with features which will make Eventline even more useful: global registry for value injection, sub-jobs, scratchpad to share data between jobs, artifacts, ACL (and SSO for Eventline Pro), a lot more connectors, identities and events… I quitted my job in 2020 and created a company, Exograd, hoping to become financially independent. This has been quite a ride, both exhilarating and scary: I made lots of mistakes and learned more in 22 months than in my entire career. I would like to bring enough revenue to be able to live from it, and then work on expanding Eventline and developing new technical products. I currently offer a support contract, a proprietary extension (Eventline Pro) for enterprise use, and cloud hosting to use Eventline without having to host it. Happy to answer any question! https://bit.ly/3qg8mGe September 6, 2022 at 01:09PM

No comments:

Post a Comment