Monday 18 July 2022

Show HN: I decided to re-create a mini Google Wave https://bit.ly/3aKBUrp

Show HN: I decided to re-create a mini Google Wave Even though Wave was killed more than 10 years ago, I didn't fully appreciate its value until recently, when I had to spend a fair amount of time in some group email threads discussing complex subjects. Would using chat instead solve the problem? Not really. In my opinion, chats are great for exchanging quick single-line replies. But to have a real discussion and arrive at a meaningful conclusion, we actually need more structure, not less structure. Which made me realize I wanted a product that worked exactly like Wave, but without some of its annoying features. In my opinion, the real-time typing feature was one of the main things that killed Wave. It's a very helpful feature for document editing, but maybe not so desirable when exchanging regular messages. Taking this feature out of the equation, it amazes me that no one (that I'm aware of) has built a product with basic Wave features to support intuitive threaded discussions with granular access control that can be used in both social and workplace settings. Reading some of the threads here on HN with people saying they wouldn't mind giving this idea a second chance if some product implemented it properly (with clean user-friendly design etc.), made me realize I might not be alone in this thinking. So after building and using it myself for taking notes and communicating with a couple of friends, I'm now ready to start sharing it with the rest of the world hoping to get some feedback on whether this implementation can be of any interest for others. Thank you for reading this long introduction! Please let me know what you think of this idea. My goal with this project is to small steps, iterate, and based on any feedback I can get, hopefully, eventually produce something that can provide a non-zero value :) https://bit.ly/3IPPeHS July 18, 2022 at 04:52PM

No comments:

Post a Comment